Monday, November 24, 2014

In Which We Use Depeche Mode to Share the Gospel and I Am Finally Chased By a Dog



I really have no idea what I'm going to write in this email. All I know is that I reread Elder Burri's emails this week and now feel like my emails need to be a lot more inspiring. And just awesome. We'll see how that goes. 

This week has been pretty good - unless we're talking about the weather, and then it stunk. I don't think I'll ever get used to Texas weather. I kind of want to punch it in the face, but it's whatever. I'm in a car - I can't complain too much. 

First of all, we shall talk about Monday night. We went over to visit a less active and her son - he's in his 20s, I believe? He's cool, though. As we were talking, he said that we'd be so proud of him because he'd been reading the scriptures to try and find the meaning of a song about the John the Revelator by Depeche Mode. (Just in case anyone was wondering, it kind of hates on John. #awkward) It led to some really good discussion, though, and we were able to talk a lot about pleasing God more than man and all sorts of good stuff like that. Sometimes I use 80s Alternative to share the gospel. It's whatever. 

In other news, I once again successfully shared the gospel using Disney. #yourejealous We went over for dinner with an older lady in the ward and she told us that her son would be eating with us, but that he was really less active and that she just didn't bring the church up at all. He came home, and somehow we got onto the topic of Disney World - he used to be in the College Program. Geek outs followed, and we ended up spending most of the dinner appointment talking about Disney stuff while Sister Roe smiled. Before we left we were able to share a thought about faith, and we committed him to write about what faith means to him. The Sister told me yesterday that he was asking when we'd come over again - WIN. 

I got to go on a really cool exchange with Sister Niedert on Friday/Saturday, and SO many cool things happened. First of all, we went to dinner with a part member family - Sister Miranda has been coming back to church and is so wonderful, and her girls love it as well. Sister Niedert taught them all of the object lessons in her repertoire, and they gobbled it up - and then asked for more. Later on, we asked the oldest daughter what we she wanted to do before she turned 9, and the first thing out of her mouth was, "get baptized." So cool. 

We also got to see Lisa, who is an investigator that I had never taught before. She is the sweetest lady, but the Sisters have been having a hard time getting a hold of her, so she hasn't been taught in a month or so. We showed up at her door a few days ago and she said, "Oh! I've been meaning to call you - I've been reading the Mormon Bible, and I keep telling myself, 'I need to call those girls.'" So, we taught her. She's gone through a lot and has lost quite a few of the people she loves most in the past little while. She is so sweet, and she has so much faith - we talked a bit about the purpose of life and how we can come closer to God, and I really feel like she's going to progress well. 

After we saw Lisa, we decided to stop by my girl Amber - it turns out that Amber was having a terrible day. The state had dropped off her sister's three kids because they'd been abused, and her husband had just walked through the door at 11 in the morning, so she was trying to take care of 7 kids under the age of 10 by herself. She's a rock star. We called one of the sisters in the ward looking for the compassionate service lady so we could see if someone could take them dinner, and she offered to do it - IT WAS JUST THE BEST THING. I can't get over how grateful I am to this sister. It meant the world to Amber, and to us. 

It was a good day. 

Sunday, I was chased by a dog. 

It was really lame, though, because it was this little teeny dog with a cataract or something else nasty in its eye, and it wasn't threatening in the slightest - just really, really annoying. It followed us up to the house of the less actives we were trying to contact, barked at us the entire time, and then followed us halfway down the street. Sister Roe was not happy. If it had gotten any closer, it would have been punted across the road. 

All in all, kind of lame. 

The coolest thing of the week happened last night. We were driving down the street, and Sister Roe was waving at everyone - she does that really well. We drove down the street, waved at some people, and then flipped a U-ie and waved at them again. The second time, they called out to us and motioned for us to come back and talk to them. They were basically the coolest people ever, and they were black (I LOVE black people. A lot. Probably too much. I don't think I'll be able to go back to Utah.) Anyway, we ended up getting 3 new investigators - two of whom already had copies of the Book of Mormon. It was so cool. I LOVE THE GOSPEL. That's all. 

So, I'm trying to think of something really inspiring to day, but it's not coming to me. It's just been a good week. There have been quite a few times this week where I've just been totally overwhelmed with how blessed I am. It's unreal, and I am so grateful. This is just the best thing of all time, ever. And I love it. 

I also love y'all. Have a wonderful week, eat way too much food, and watch all the football. 

*tear* Football... How I miss thee...

It's fine. I'm fine. 

Love, 
Sister Liljenlenquist  

No comments: