Tuesday, July 1, 2014

In Which I Say the Saddest Goodbye Yet and You Only See That in the Movies



You'd think that I might not start every email off with details on the heat, but nope. It's hot, people. Hot and humid. It's been raining quite a bit as well, which means that either way you slice it, we're going to be soaked. I'm beginning to lose sight of the difference between sweat and rain. It's a good thing I'm so dang tough. 

This week was pretty long, but I don't know why. Just for fun, probably. 

This Tuesday we were able to have specialized training with the Pingrees in the temple. I don't know if I've ever been in a place where I could feel the Spirit so strongly, and I really don't think that I've ever been taught so much by the Spirit. We learned all sorts of incredible things, and it was so nice to spend some time with them before they left. I took a family name through the temple and was able to feel her with me for a lot of the time, which is something I've never been able to do before. Family History is real, people. 

The Pingrees are leaving today, even though I told them not to. I said that they were more than welcome to leave in about February of next year - not now. They are not very obedient. 

Really, though. I know that I could never explain how much I love this family and how deep of an impact they've had on my life. I know for certain that I would not still be here if it weren't for them, and I don't think I would have learned nearly as much as I have. They are such incredible people and are going to be missed so very much. 

In their honor, I have compiled a short list of some of the gazillions of reasons why I (and various guest contributors who happen to be sitting in this room) love the Pingrees:

1. "It is so good to hear the sound of your voice!" - President Pingree, every time he answers the phone

2. "Would Sister Pingree approve?" - Missionaries, when fellow missionaries think of doing something less than dignified

3. "President Pingree - John, that's what I call him."
"That's not all she calls me."
[Pause] "Honey, stuff like that."
- Exchange between President and Sister Pingree, at the beginning of Sister Pingree's talk at a Zone Conference

4. "Sisters! I have something to tell you! I'm working on emails and stuff on the computer - I'm not just sitting around. I'm just taking care of my wife." - President Pingree
We had an appointment with him one time when he was home after Sister Pingree had her appendix removed. While we were there, he said something to the effect of, "Look at us! We just sit around all day," to which Sister Pingree replied, "Please don't make me laugh."

5. Sister Pingrees song about inviting others to learn about the gospel, sung over the pulpit at various stake conferences. We still sing it, missionaries and members alike.

6. "Because he's a boss." "I extremely love the Pingrees." - Elder Ferrin

7. "Sister Pingree always does the 'Oh, I can't hug you, but I wish I could!' and then touches you more than if she would have just hugged you." - Elder Tanner

8. "Every time you talk to Sister Pingree or give her a hug, she always plays with your hair." - Sister Priddis

9. "President's just hilarious - he always says funny things, and you're like, 'Oh, okay - you just said that.' He's so cool." - Elder Tanner

10. "One time I had a companion who had to stay in a lot, and I told President Pingree that I felt really disobedient. He said, 'Well, you're not going to Galveston, are you?' I asked him what Galveston was and he said, 'Exactly.'" - Sister Priddis

11. Mostly, though, we all agree that the best thing about the Pingrees is how loving they are. Elder Tanner says that they're like his parents, and we all agree. I'm pretty sure that no one will ever be able to convince me that I am not their favorite, because they are just so loving. You are literally enveloped in love every time they walk in a room. 

I love the Pingrees. We will miss them. 

I went on exchanges this week with Sister Christensen. Remember that goob? It was a lot of fun. We were able to commit one of their investigators to a baptismal date - but let's get real, she committed herself. We went over 3 Nephi 11 and talked about baptism and she said, "When can I get baptized?"

#coolestever

One of the most notable experiences, however, happened on the way down. We went all the way down to Inwood, which is Sister Christensen's new area, in North Houston. It's the definition of sketch town, so I felt pretty legit while we were there...and also very scared, but that's not the point. One of the members from the Inwood Ward, a hilarious black woman named Sheila, gave us a ride, and we stopped for gas on the way home. We pulled in and this car that was pulling out from the pump in front of us just stopped. Though perplexed and a little disgruntled, we pulled around to another pump. We looked back to see what was going on just as the poor guy in the passenger seat picked up the fuel pump that they had just driven off with - they had left it in the car and forgot about it. Sheila just laughed, and laughed, and laughed...and laughed, and then she started crying, she was laughing so hard, and she kept saying, "Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, you only see that in the movies." It was so very, very hilarious. 

While we were in the temple on Tuesday, Sister Bonner made a really profound observation - she said, "All the way through the temple, there are pictures of the Savior, but when you get to the Celestial room, it's just mirrors - when you get to that point, you should see the Savior in your reflection." President Pingree also talked about how the defining characteristic of the Celestial Kingdom will be that we will be surrounded by people who care more about us than themselves. I don't think I've wrapped my head around that one entirely, but I am so grateful for those who are such a great example to me of selflessness - I'm working on it, ever so slowly but surely. 

Also, just in case your weren't aware - today is the most important day, especially for the summer of '69. #mombirthday 

Love, 
Sister Liljenquist




1 comment:

Annette said...

Wow, way to rat our your Mom being a whole 45 years old.HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!