Tuesday, July 15, 2014

In Which Jace Teaches Sister Priddis What a Cornerstone Is and We Learn to Stay Strong



It's still hot, just in case anyone was wondering. Really, really hot. I have not had to bike today, a fact which I am incredibly grateful for. 

What a week. 

Jace and Layla are out of town for two weeks, which is really upsetting. We're going to miss them, and investigators being away from the Spirit that long is a little disconcerting, but I'm not too worried - they're tough, and the Lord will look out for them. We gave them an mp3 player with some conference talks to listen to on their drive and taught them about apostles and prophets. In that lesson, Sister Priddis called the Book of Mormon the cornerstone of our religion and then started to describe a keystone. I kind of interrupted her, and Jace and I helped her figure it out. They always say that we learn more from our investigators than they do from us - sometime it's just a little more literal. 

We had a bit of a break through with KJ and his family this week. We were able to help them clean up after they had their carpet replaced, and they invited us and a member family over for dinner on Saturday. Hana, his wife, was really excited about coming to church the next day and told us how much she loved us. She ended up being sick on Sunday, but it was amazing to see the difference in their family when the Spirit was there. I'm not sure how much they're progressing and how prepared they are to receive the gospel, but I know that it's making a difference in their lives. 

We were also able to meet Lea this week - well, for reals. The Elders told us about her when we got here, but we've only been able to talk to her once on the doorstep. However, we made some cookies with Sharolyn and Tara this week and took them to her and FINALLY got in the door. She fed us some watermelon and we said we'd come back and help her with some service. A few days later we went and helped her take down a tree that was growing a little too close to a power line for her taste. It was quite the adventure, and we had a lot of fun. She is really involved and has close connections with her church, but we're hoping that as we get her some friends and help her some more, her heart will be softened. 

Our lives were completely shaken this week when we heard about the shooting in Spring. When Sister Priddis and I were originally told, we heard that it was a family in the Olde Oaks ward, and we were so upset. We were out exercising on Saturday morning when we ran into Elder Ferrin and Elder Tanner, who work in the ward next to ours. Elder Ferrin, who served in Westfield with me, asked if I'd heard about the Stays, and I told him I hadn't. When he told me that they were the family who'd been killed, it felt like someone had punched me in the gut. 

The Stays were one of the families I connected most with in Westfield - besides the ward mission leader, we probably spent the most time at their house. The thing I loved most about the Stays was that they were so real. They were such a wonderful, righteous family, but they weren't perfect, and they had amazing personalities. Cassidy especially was my good buddy. She made me feel so loved and appreciated in a time when I was so confused, and we had a grand old time talking about Tom Hiddleston and Shakespeare and Harry Potter. 

It's been a rough week, and there have been lots of tears shed by the entire community. I've had a really hard time with it, but I am so grateful for the knowledge I have of the Plan of Salvation. The Stays are just fine, and Cassidy is going to be incredible. So many people have been and will be inspired by this insanity. The Lord is in control, as always. 

"But there is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ."
Mosiah 16:8

Stay strong. 

Love, 
Sister Liljenquist




Tara approves of the cookies. 

Lea, Sister Priddis and I - cutting down trees in style. 

The tree - VANQUISHED



Yard sale - I thought my dad would get a kick out of this one. 


Jenna and I practice selfies. 
 
Sister Priddis has a green thumb

No comments: