Hey, dudes. It's me. I'm still in Texas, and it's
still hot. Gratefully, however, the Lord has seen fit to bless us not only with
increased tolerance to the heat, but also members with vehicles and air
conditioning to drive us around. Now, if he could only do something about the
mosquitoes, I'd be pretty content. #73bitesinoneday
This week hasn't been all that thrilling, unfortunately.
Just missionary work, you know. We've been working with John and KJ, and I am
doing all I can to try to love and understand them, because I'm at a total
loss. I'm not one for lolly gagging, and John and KJ are really good at that.
It's a little frustrating, but we're working on it. KJ's desire is really
increasing, and that's hopeful. I just need to be more patient. I am not a very
patient person.
I am really excited about Jace and Layla, though. We taught
the Restoration again this week, but this time Jace and Carter were there. Jace
is a really interesting individual because he does not talk unless he's asked a
question. It's been a bit of a struggle, but we're learning how to ask more
questions to make sure he's on board with everything. We invited both him and
Carter to be baptized - Carter said, "Sure," and Jace said,
"Maybe, we'll see." It sounds dismal, but it's not. It's a lot better
than a no. After the lesson he talked with Sister Priddis and thanked her for
coming back, because people didn't usually come back after being around their
crazy kids - he was surprised that we did. He told her that we could come over
anytime, which was really cool - we think he's warming up to us.
Last night, they came to the church for a tour. When we got
there, we found the YSA ward in the chapel having a fireside, which freaked us
out a bit, seeing as our plans had made the chapel the most important part. I
stressed for bit, but it ended up being fabulous. The bishop - who is
incredible, by the way - came with his wife, and they kind of took over and led
the tour, which was awesome. When they got there, I was just blown away - they
had gotten all 7 kids dressed up in skirts and ties to come and tour the
church. It was so cool. The bishop and his wife did a really good job at
relating to Jace and Layla, seeing as they had 10 kids, and the bishop's wife
took the littlest ones into the nursery and watched them for the lesson at the
end, which was just perfect. They are just a really cool family.
Brother Beckett Update -
He called me special. In ward council. In his big voice. I
asked the bishop for a new ward mission leader. He said he'd think about
it.
One of the things I've been learning this week is the
blessings that come from listening. I'm not able to talk much in my current
situation, and it's been really interesting to see how my opinion of that has
changed. At first, I was really frustrated. Really, really frustrated. This is
the kid who talks without ceasing, and I wasn't getting in even one of my two
cents. As it's gone on, though, I have been able to see that listening is so
incredibly important. I knew it was, and I thought I was listening, but there's
a difference between listening to fix and listening to understand.
Let me explain.
There are a lot of different ways that people communicate,
and sometimes the least of them is language. When we take the time to really
observe and take in the full situation, we'll find that we can understand
what's going on a lot better than if we just took people's words at face value.
In addition to that, the Spirit has a lot more opportunity to teach us what
someone might need. You can fix and fix and fix all you want, but in the end,
the only One that really knows what's going on is the Lord, and He is the
only one that can truly fix anyone. I've had a couple of really neat
experiences come from sitting back and listening to what someone is saying,
praying to know how to help them, and then trusting the Lord to put the words
into my mouth that I need to best bring these people closer to the
Savior.
I was looking for a cool quote or something to go with this,
(#tryingtobeascoolaselderburri) and I found an entire chapter in the
"Teaching, No Greater Call" manual that's called
"Listening." Now that's cool. The opening line of the chapter says
this -
"Listening is an expression of love. It often requires
sacrifice. When we truly listen to others, we often give up what we want to say
so that they can express themselves."
Listening = Love. It makes sense when you think about it.
When you listen, you put the someone else's needs before your own. Who does
that remind you of? (Hint - it's the Savior.)
"The Savior constantly watched and listened to those He
taught, adjusting His teaching to the needs He perceived. For example, after
teaching the Nephite people, He said, “Go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon
the things which I have said” (3 Nephi 17:3). However, just as He was to
leave,“he cast his eyes round about again on the multitude, and beheld they
were in tears, and did look steadfastly upon him as if they would ask him to
tarry a little longer with them” (3 Nephi 17:5). He perceived their needs and
stayed longer to minister to them and teach them."
I'm so grateful for the opportunity to spend my entire time
putting others' need in front of my own. I'm not very good at it, but I am so
grateful for a Father who pushes me into uncomfortable situations so that I can
become more than I am.
Have a good week, people. I'll talk to you later.
Affectionately,
Sister Lilly-jen-quist, or something like that.
#ivanthewardmissionleader
Sister King and I are ADORABLE.
Watch tan progress, week two.
Elder Hegemann's scary face.
I'm not sure if this one is overshare, but y'all just get it
anyway. My mission brain thinks that legs are totally inappropriate, but I
thought this was ridiculous enough to show you. Seventy. Three. Mosquito.
Bites. In One day. Sometimes I hate Texas.
No comments:
Post a Comment