Tuesday, September 30, 2014

In Which We Have a Quintuple Dunk...and Nothing Else Really Matters All That Much, So We'll Leave it at That



This is a big struggle in my life - I have all the things to say and not all that much time to say them. We'll see how this goes. 

I'm not even sure how to start this off. I've never done the whole baptism thing - every time I've taught someone who's been baptized, I didn't have to put the whole shebang together. It's kind of stressful - I won't lie. All my plans of becoming some sort of party planner when I grow up have been dashed. At the same time, Sister Ae and I would look at each other when we got too overwhelmed and remember how cool is was that we had such stress. 

We had baptismal interviews on Wednesday, and President Mortensen came to do the interview for Jace and Layla while Elder Pongi took the kids. We had asked President what we should do because we were still worried about Jace, and he offered to interview them. Heck yeah! He's a champ. We were almost positive that Jace wouldn't be baptized, but when we sat down for a lesson before the interview, he just blew our little minds. I asked if he'd gotten any answers and he said that he knew that it was what they needed to do and was right for them. We knew that he had a love for coffee, and although Layla had mentioned the Word of Wisdom to him, we had never been able to. I told him about it quickly and asked if he'd be willing to live it, and he said, "It may not be cold turkey, but I'm willing to give it a shot."

Huh?

So cool. I then asked if he wanted more time to prepare to be baptized, and he said, "Well, if we're going to do it, we should do it all together." I'm totally okay with that. We were kind of in shock and didn't know what exactly to think, so it was so great to have President Mortensen there. He connected with Jace in a way that we've never been able to, and it was so helpful to have that outside affirmation that they were ready. 

The week went on, we did some stuff...that I can't remember... and then it was Saturday! The ward was so incredible at helping us out, and despite the little hiccups that are just bound to happen, it went smoothly. They were also incredible to support the family - we moved into the chapel for the service because there wasn't enough room in the Relief Society room, and we filled up the whole middle section. The whole row behind us was full of young men who came for Carter - such quality guys. 

The service went just swimmingly. So much white in one place - it was almost indescribable. There were never any overwhelming feelings, just this utter happiness and contentment despite the twins' craziness. President and Sister Mortensen came and spoke, Sister Ae gave the talk on baptism, and I was able to sing a musical number, despite the best attempts of the frog in my throat to ruin things for me. HA! I think Bishop Hair said it best when he talked about them looking like they had an inner joy that they couldn't express or even fully understand. Both he and President Mortensen challenged them to set their sights on the temple a year from now, and that brought such an amazing spirit. 

Yesterday's sacrament meeting was quite the event, with many announcements (they're making a stake in The Woodlands,) five confirmations, and the sacrament - there were about 10 minutes for testimonies. The blessings weren't too long, but it was so neat to see how each of them were so individual, even though they said a lot of the same things. I loved the vision of their future in the church - I was so worried about getting them to this point, I don't think I ever thought of that. 

I also have to make a plug for our ward, which might just be the best ever. We went to ward council yesterday and basically sat back as each of the leaders talked about how they were going to strengthen the whole family - promptings they'd already received, plans that they'd already thought about - and everyone jumped in. Without them, we wouldn't be able to keep them on their way, but this ward has just embraced them and is not going to let them go. I am so impressed with their love and ability to think about others and embrace everyone - even the prickly ones. Porcupines need hugs, too. 

All in all, I feel like the most blessed person on the planet. 

Yep. I don't know how in the world I was blessed to be able to teach this family and to take whatever small part in helping them back to their Father in Heaven. I have learned so much from their example and from this whole process, and I am just overjoyed. 

Not even this chest cold can get me down. 

Most of the time. 

I sure do love you. Have an excellent week, my friends. Take some time this week to look at the many things you've been blessed with - and then share it with others. Let me know how it goes!

Love, 

Sista Lilly-J

No comments: