Monday, September 22, 2014

In Which We Meet Hurricane Season and Arrogant Boys Are the Reason Global Warming Exists (She's 28% Sure)



Oh, hello, fine people of the email list and internet. I hope that all is well in y'all's respective corners of the globe. It's pretty okay here - the weather man says that we should only be peeking into the 90's this next week, which I am totally okay with. I've learned to not trust the weather man, though. I don't blame him, but Texas just decides to be a punk and do crazy things out of nowhere. 

Like this week, for example. 

It wasn't really out of nowhere, but it was totally ridiculous. There was a nice little storm that decided to stir things up in the...ocean...somewhere... and it made things a bit wet here. I think her name was Odile. It was insane. We spent the vast majority of Wednesday and Thursday inside because biking in the rain is bad news. Sharolyn came and rescued us both days, so we were a little less stir crazy, but it was still psycho. 

In other news, Sister Ae and I painted again this week, and there was only a very minor paint spill - nothing compared to the fiasco in Tara's room. I was reminded, however, that painting STINKS. I really don't like it. It's way too boring. Another future career: eliminated. 

We were able to go to the baptism of one of the girls in the ward this week. Their family just moved in to the ward a few weeks ago, so there weren't many people there besides their family. I just love families, guys. Sometimes they make me sad because mine is so far away, but I love that I have this opportunity to be around so many families and to learn from their examples. There's something totally irreplaceable about family that you can't recreate in any other social group. 

We also had a good chat with the baptismee's sister, HunterEve. Hunter's a little obsessed with boys, so she talks about them a lot. She says that arrogant boys are the reason global warming exists. She's 28% sure. 

Our focus this week has most definitely been with the Jace and Layla clan. Their baptism is scheduled for this Saturday, and we've been doing all we can to prepare them to make those covenants. It's a little scary, knowing that you are creating a way for people to come closer to their Heavenly Father, but also knowing that you're making them that much more accountable. 

However, my biggest thought this week has been, in Sharolyn's words, "Faith, Trust, and Let it Go." (One of the benefits of being a missionary is that that song isn't old yet. It's still pretty new.) I spend so much time worrying about things I have no control over - I teach people and help them to make and keep commitments - beyond that, I really have no control. I can't do anything about whether or not they actually chose to do what we've asked, whether or not they come to church or if they progress. That's all up to them and God, and I need to trust that He's got a handle on things. 

It's incredible how much your demeanor changes when you're not out to fix everything. Ain't nobody got time for that. 

The week finished off with some excellent meetings yesterday and a really cool mission president fireside in Cypress where I got to see a whole bunch of my buddies. I just love people. They're great. 

Things are going well here. I'm not the perfect teacher, I don't talk to everyone I see, I'm not exactly obedient, but I am doing the best I can. I go one day at a time, and I do my best to leave what I can't control to the Lord. I don't need to fix everything all at once - I can't. I shall just do what I can and have fun making mistakes along the way. And partying with Sister Ae. 

Boo yah. 

Have a great week, y'allzies. I sure do love and appreciate you. 

Love, 
Sister Liljenquist




Sharolyn eats Peach. 

Peach is my best friend. 
 
Rain, rain, and more rain.


Sister Ae, Elle, and I

Painting - missionary style. 
 
Elder Hillebrant got this letter from an investigator


These rocking chairs are out front of our apartment office. I love them. 


No comments: