Monday, September 1, 2014

In Which We Are Grateful for Elders Who Know More About Bikes Than We Do and We Learn About True Love From The Princess Bride



I'm not sure how to start this email. 

Hello? 

I guess that works. 

I'm coming to you on Labor Day, thanks to the Klein Family History Center. #hallelujah #didntwanttoemailtomorrow It's really, really humid today, just in case anyone was wondering - the kind where every window in Houston is foggy. Yuck. It's fine - I'm fine. 

Jace and Layla are doing pretty well. We realized that they are probably not going anywhere anytime soon, so we need to take a step back and make sure they're all getting the testimonies they need. They didn't come to church yesterday, which is a bummer, but we were able to find a member who has had the same struggles Jace has, so we might have finally found the key to connecting with him. I am really grateful for that. Members really do make all of the difference. 

One of my favorite moments of the week was when we got this text from Layla - 
"Cooper came out of the laundry room soaking wet. Curiosity got the best of me, and I went to check. Laundry room flooded, water pouring from the ceiling. I've always wanted a fancy waterfall feature in the house :)"

She is seriously the most patient person I've ever met. I love her. 

I went on exchanges this week with Sister Andreason. We had this super awesome day planned out and got our bikes and were ready to go - and Sister Andreason looks and me and says, "I think my tire's flat." It literally had no air in it. So, we limped to the church and spent about 6 hours there waiting for help and working in the Family History Center and fixing all of the problems that kept coming up. 

We're super grateful for Elders who know bikes. And tubes. And junk like that. 

It was kind of an uneventful week - meetings, visiting members, stuff like that. We sat in on the combined Young Men/Young Women lesson yesterday, in which the Young Men's President taught about true love from The Princess Bride. Pretty much the best thing of all time. 

Moral of the story? "As you wish" really does mean "I love you" and death cannot stop true love - all it can do is delay it for a while.

Transfer calls came last night, and we're both staying. The entire district is staying, actually. It's pretty...boring, really. I'm really glad, though. There are good things happening her, my companion is a boss, and I quite like my bike. Even thought it's hot. 

Keep on keeping on, my friends. Y'all're cool. 

Love, 
Me


We crossed the vast expanse of the ghetto parking lot on 1960...

Sister Andreason's tire. It's sad. 
 
Elder Pace fixes the bike. 


  
His companion is super helpful. So is Elder Beck. 


The Issue.
 
The Sam Houston Sisters had a baptism - there's no sweeter sound than a font filling with water...



The Assistants found a bag of rubber bands. 


This is what they've been doing for the past 3 days. 

 

No comments: