Tuesday, August 19, 2014

In Which We Experience the Most Important Day of the Year and Jaylynn Does Not Have Time for That



It's raining today, but it has been so hot this week... I try not to think about it. 

It's been a week. Just, a week. I'll be real with y'all right now - my motivation has been really lacking this week, which makes missionary work difficult - especially in August, in Houston, on a bike. I think it's a six months left thing. 

It's real. I still maintain that I just got here, but the calendar won't quit arguing with me. I passed my year mark this week, which is pretty much the most insane and frightening thing that's happened in the past...year. It's been really hard to fight all of the feelings that I haven't done anything with my time here. Who knew that happened? I've been reminded many a time recently that the last six months are the fastest. I sure hope not. 

You were going to ask about Layla and Jace, weren't you? Fine. I shall tell you. 

The week started off really well. We set a firm baptismal date for the 23rd, and we were over with them every day attempting to teach lessons to get them prepared. It's kind of crazy over there. Sweet Layla texted us a couple of weeks ago and asked if we had plans for my birthday, and then said that if we didn't have any, she'd love to host one for me at their house. How cute is she? We went on Wednesday night, she made me a gluten free cake (which was freakishly delicious,) and I was able to invite Megan and Tim from Oak Ridge and some of my favorite families from the ward to fellowship Layla and fam. I think it worked really well. 

Jace came home from drill on Friday, and things did not work out like we wanted them to. Layla has been showing a lot more desire and testimony, but Jace has stopped showing any. They didn't come to church yesterday, and we haven't been able to get a hold of them since then. We're not sure what's going on, but they are not going away without a fight. We love them too much. 

Cool story, though. Remember the Ellsworths, the most fantabulous family that we used to live with? Remember how they kicked us out because they were adopting three boys? Well, their boys were placed this week, and we were able to go over to teach them the first discussion last night. I'll admit, it seemed like they were being talked up by adoring parents, but I can now add my testimony to theirs - those boys are incredible. Demerikko is 16, Stirling is 13, and Jaylynn is 9. They're all so interested, and they're just great. I foresee a baptism in the near future. Plus, Jaylynn is so black, and it is way too hilarious. I just love them. 

The truth is this - missionaries who work are happy. Missionaries who don't are not. It's just as simple as that. The issue is when we forget that and get lazy, because things just don't go well. 

Next week is going to be stellar. Just watch. 

Love y'all. Be good. 

Love, 
Sister Liljenquist


WE DID SERVICE! I miss service. So much. 


The Elders came together. I call this the clown car shot. 
 
Happy birthday!

 
My favorite Guidrys!

Blowing out candles - all 20 of them. 
 
It was Cooper's birthday, too. He liked his cake. 



Jackson also liked his cake. 
 
Gabby, Jaylynn, and Sister Ae


All of the crazy chickens. 

 

No comments: