Tuesday, August 12, 2014

In Which I Have a Zombie Companion and Elder Spangler is a Cockroach



DISCLAIMER:

This email is not going to be the most super quality email ever for reasons to be explained hereafter. However, I shall include many pictures to make it better. Sound good? Well.... That is, if I can find my camera cord. Flip. We'll work on it. 

So, once upon a time, Houston is really, really, freaking, stinking hot. It's just so hot. Then, sometimes, when your companion is adjusting to a biking area in August, she's a little on the dehydrated side anyway. Then, if she decides to play frisbee in the afternoon on Pants day in a long sleeved t-shirt (I told her not to, but she was worried about her farmer's tan,) she gets a little thing we like to call an "electrolyte deficiency." Translation? She was a dehydrated zombie. She tried to tell me that she just needed to sleep for 15 minutes. I said whatever and called Sister Mortensen. Sister Mortensen agreed with me, and we stayed inside for most of the week. 

On a happier note, my companion is no longer zombified, and we have emerged from the bat cave...just in time for the heat index to reach 105*. 

Hooray. 

We did get to do some stuff, though. We had a good zone meeting on Friday where we talked about "Master Teaching" which is based off of the Socratic method - basically, you ask questions for as much of the lesson as you can. To demonstrate, Sister Bonner put a piece of paper on a few Elders backs and told them they could only ask yes or no questions to discover what they were. We tried to help Elder Spangler discover his true identity, but Elder White figured out that he was a sock first. Ah, well. 

You were going to ask about Layla and Jace, weren't you? I knew you were. They're doing well. We were able to visit them 3 times this week, and we had a really cool lesson with Carter and his friend Dylan, who's not religious at all. My favorite part was when Dylan asked, "But why do you guys care so much?" Well, let me tell you. I found, though, that it's pretty difficult to explain a whole lifetime of testimony and building a relationship with God and Christ in words. It was good. They're good kids. Their baptismal date has been moved to the 23rd so that Jace can be baptized with them, a fact that Sister Ae is quite happy about, seeing as the 23rd is her birthday. #bestbirthdaypresentever 

I love y'all. Have a great week, do some good things, and invite someone. Kay? 

Love, 

Sister Liljenquist
(Me)



Elder Spangler - he wasn't a pizza before. He was a cockroach. He stole Elder Derbidge's paper. 

Biking selfie

 
Allison Mann and I - a most happy day

Carter and Carson played frisbee with us


Sister Ae is hot - see the long sleeves? 



Texas sunsets for the win


The Lamoni

 
Who knows what these two are doing... #assistantsarepsycho 


No comments: