Monday, January 6, 2014

In Which Sister Sylvester Joins the Manns in Polishing Leaves and I Celebrate the Departure of Christmas by Covering Myself in a Peppermint Shake

I didn't think that all that much happened this week...and then I looked at my journal. I was mistaken. A whole ton of stuff happened, and now I must collect it all and put it into a clever email. Oh, goodness.

First of all, there were transfers. Our entire district, apart from Sister Sylvester and I, changed. I am now the only missionary left from the Spring District when I first got here - and the only person that's been here more than 3 months. Sheesh. I just got here - I'm not old. This is odd. We've been joined by Sister Barnes, Elder Darnell and Elder Cloward, and Elder Contrys - my new arch-nemesis. Elder Petersen, the Disneyland hater, was transferred, so I had to have someone to drive me bonkers, right? It's wonderful. My bestest buddy Elder Christensen was made our new Zone Leader, which I totally called, by the way, and most of the Zone changed as well. Except us - we're too cool for that.

On Monday, we decided to go and use some free shake coupons that we had gotten. We got our food and were getting everything settled in the car when Sister Sylvester, in an attempt to place her shake in a cup holder, spilled it all over me. Well, mostly my left side. So, we drove home, I was all covered in shake, and we cleaned it up. It was a hoot.  

On  Tuesday, we decided to visit the Manns, aka the greatest family of all time. Their oldest son was just married and they were hosting the reception at their house, so we went over to see if we could help out with anything. I got to help Allison make Oreo balls (like cake balls, but Oreo,) while Sister Sylvester and Sarah were wrangled into polishing the leaves on Sister Mann's fake ficus plant. It took about 2 hours, and I'm pretty sure that they both lost some of their sanity. Brian, the second oldest Mann, also polished leaves, but he was polishing the leaves in the kitchen and covered the kitchen in dust, so he was fired.

We were able to visit with most of our investigators this week...and by most, I mean half. We met with Ashlee, who is just great. She's really starting to start to get it. Make sense? One of the things that frustrates me as a missionary is when people don't get it. I teach the things, the Spirit is there, and then they're supposed to just get it and get baptized, right? Well, no. Not really. One of the things we're having a hard time with with both Ashlee and Kezza is helping them to understand the importance of the gospel and the blessings that it brings. She's starting to grasp it, though. Kezza's been out of town with her mom all week, so we weren't able to meet with her, but school started again today, so now she's trapped here. We'll find her.

We were also able to meet with Carmen and Marcie this week. I can't remember what I've said about them - a member told us that their next door neighbor had talked to him about the church and said that her daughter had been baptized into the church once upon a time. We've been meeting with Carmen, the mom, who's 81 and - let's get real - we don't know how often she's with us mentally, but Marcie has always been busy, so we haven't seen her. We stopped by this week, though, and she was there. We chatted with her, and then all of the sudden, without even taking a breath after her last thought, she said, "So, when can we start my lessons?" Sister Sylvester and I sat there for a minute while we processed the whole thing, and then we answered. We were able to teach her yesterday and committed her to read the Book of Mormon before our next visit. (She said that she hadn't read past the introduction before she was baptized. Really, 90's missionaries? Come on.)

One of the things that I've come to realize this week is that - hmmm. How to put this in words. I've realized that my mission is more about me than I thought. The Lord doesn't need our help to do His work - He could do it all on His own. But, He knows that we can learn and grow so much by helping him, so He allows us to help. There are some missionaries who are here to teach specific people that no one else would be able to reach, there are some who are here to lead, there are some who are here for their companions. It's important to remember the importance of learning and growing. Missionaries are given challenges to grow and develop, and the Lord's intention is not for us to have this whole thing figured out any time soon. We do what we can, we have fun and we grow, and that makes everything okay.

Y'all are great. Be good and stuff. I love you!

Sister Liljenquist


Making caramel with the Noordas

Brian shows off his handiwork...while sitting on top of the fridge


Me...covered in shake. I was mostly sitting on it, though.

Polishing the leaves

The reception decorations - the backyard looked really fantastic. Brother Mann is great.

Sister Parker taught Sister Sylvester and I how to play the harp. It was pretty cool. 



No comments: