Monday, January 13, 2014

In Which Brother Gillmore Looks for the Poop and I Describe Texas in One Word

So, this email is going to be a bit different, see, because not too much happened this week.

First of all, I'll tell you about our people.

Ashlee - well, we're not sure what's up with her. We met with her a few times this week, which was excellent, and we had a wonderful episode where she almost dropped us because she thought we were FLDS. No. No, no, no. We had an appointment scheduled on Saturday, but she texted and told us not to come because something had happened. Our guess is that her boyfriend left her, but we're not sure. We'll keep praying and see if we can get a hold of her.

Megan and Tim came to church yesterday! It's the first time in my 4 months and 29 days of being a missionary that an investigator that doesn't live with members has come to church. All of the meetings were fantastic, and Megan had a couple of really cool experiences. She told us as she left that she was thinking more about baptism, and that Tim was ready to go. I love these people, guys. I have no idea how I was lucky enough to be chosen to teach them.

On Tuesday night, we had dinner with the Gillmores. Brother Gillmore served his mission in Guadalajara, and he was regaling us with his stories. One of them was about the last area he served in. He and companion opened the area, and at the time, literally every person in the town belonged to a break-off group of the church. He talked about how they would walk around and people would throw poop and rocks at them, and it was just rough. When he got home, he would occasionally call the mission office to see how things were doing. One day, he asked about this area, and the office missionaries said that it was now the highest baptizing area in the mission, and they sent Zone Leaders in to take care of it. His response was, "What? Where's the poop? Where are the rocks? Come on, man!" Sister Sylvester and laughed for a long time about that one.

So, I really don't have all that much to say, so I'll talk a little bit about the Lone Star state. I'll start off by saying that it's grown on me - I don't think that I'd like it if I were in any other position. This is probably because there are many sassy people here, and I'm not a fan of fellow sasses. I give it, but I'm not very good at taking it back. I love it, though. It's a beautiful place.

The thing that Sister Sylvester and I decided is that if we were to sum Texas up into one word, that word would be Random. Let me explain

- There's no zoning, which means that trains and housing developments and industrial areas are all in the same area. I keep thinking that I'll get used to it, but I don't. It's not that I don't like it, but it's just odd.

- The fire hydrants are aaaalll the colors of the rainbow. Blue, green, yellow, you name it.

- The weather. It's just the weirdest thing - it'll be raining, and then the sun will come back out, and then it will rain harder, and then it'll go away and the wind will blow - it's just an odd thing. You never know what to dress for in the morning (except in the summer - it's just hot.)

That's all I can think of, which says a lot about how tired I am and nothing about a lack of additional randomness. I think I'll go take a nap now, if that's alright. Y'all are great, and I love you. Okay?

Sister Liljenquist


No comments: