Friday, April 10, 2015

In Which We Find Tender Mercies On a Long Day

   I have a story to tell. It comes from work. I got a job - did y'all know that? I am not longer a jobless freeloader, thank you. I've made a return appearance as a Nice Pioneer Lady at the Pioneer village just down yonder. It's actually a ton of fun, and I like it a lot. 

   Today, I worked in a house where I haven't worked in... A Long time. This house specializes in pioneer chores, which means a lot of work, and a lot of doing things just to do them again about 17 seconds later. I was doing really well until about noon when I started to get hungry. Now, I'd pull the former Sister Hudgens in here for a testimonial, but I'm already a little sheepish about it in the first place, so you'll just have to trust me on this one. I'm pretty sure that the phrase "hangry" was coined after observing me without food for an extended period of time. It's pretty pathetic. I hated everyone and everything and wanted nothing more than to run away and shove any sort of nourishment in my face. 

   By the time I got to go on a break around 2:15, I had very specific plans to go to the break room, eat, and read my book. When I got there, there was a cute girl eating as well, and she started talking to me. I was a little annoyed at first, but as we kept talking, I started to loosen up. After a few minutes I mentioned that I had served a mission, and we started to talk about the church. It turns out that she has been thinking about serving a mission, but hasn't been active for a while. We talked a lot about it and I offered to read the Book of Mormon with her. 

   When she left, I almost cried. For the past few days I've really been missing being able to help people as much as a I did as a missionary - I still try to do all I can to help, but it just doesn't feel like it did when I was serving. I've spent all week wishing and wanting to do something more, and it just fell into my lap - and all because I had a late lunch. 

   For the record, I was much nicer after I'd eaten. 

No comments: