Another Monday, another email from your favorite missionary.
You lucky duck! I won't make any promises about this one, though. It's been
kind of a doosie. (How do you even spell that word?)
First things first, we went downtown last Monday after we
emailed, and it was pretty much amazing. I won't lie - leaving the mission made
me feel pretty darn apostate, but also kind of cool at the same time. We went
to the Houston Museum of Natural Science and had a grand old time - I saw
mummies. And cat mummies. And a skull made out of a gemstone. And large
skeletons of creatures that are creepier than I'll get out. Michelle took us,
and Michelle and I are basically the same person, so we had a blast. Her
"old and ghetto car" makes lots of strange vibrations, so she said we
got a free butt massage. Fine by me.
That night when we were knocking doors, we ran into this man
- I swear he knows the Bible better than I know the English language. He was
very nice and it wasn't a bash at all, but everything we said he countered with
verses that he just pulled from his head and I was grossly unprepared. I knew
that what I knew was true, but I didn't have the scriptures to back it up - I
hate that. So, we called President Mortensen, whose knowledge of the scriptures
is very similar to this dude's. He said we had to do our homework, but that he'd
come with us. So, I spent the last week studying the Plan of Salvation in the
Bible hard core, and we're going back over tonight. I'm really hoping all goes
well.
After that, the week kind of took a nosedive.
We took a member to see Amber this week, and the appointment
actually started off really well - we read Lehi's dream, Sister Bay was able to
help Amber understand, the Spirit was there - it was great. Toward the end of
the dream, she got a call from the school saying that her son had found a
syringe on the way to school and had poked another girl with it.
Are.
You.
Kidding me.
It's just one of those moments where I wonder what else can
go wrong. We haven't heard much from her since then, but we know she's still
alive - well, she was a couple of days ago.
As we were pulling away from Amber's, we got a text from
Emily.
Oh, Emily.
She said that she didn't need us to come over anymore and
that she needed to get back to her reading. We tried to ask her what the heck
that meant, but we never heard back from her. We ran into her on Saturday while
delivering Elder Moon's suit pants to him, and it was so awkward. Every wall
you can think of was up - there was no getting to talk to her.
Her day will come, I know it. It's just not today.
We did have an adventure this week with Kate, the most
recently returned missionary in the Olde Oaks ward. She came home on Wednesday
and came out with us on Saturday, and it was so nice to have her. It was
especially nice when we went to appointments with Lisa and Rebecca, both of
whom dropped us. It softened the disappointment quite a bit.
Also, we discovered the most delicious hole-in-the-wall
Mexican food restaurant.
SO GOOD.
I think the highlight of the week was probably the lesson we
had with Stephen and Alexus last night. We felt really strongly for most of the
week that they'd close the area and we'd both get moved, and with that we also
felt really strongly that we needed to talk to them in the most lovingly bold
way about baptism - that their putting it off held the door wide open for satan
to come in and wreak havoc. It went really, really well, and I think they got
the love and idea that we were trying to convey. We, well, Sister Lynes,
challenged them to pray about the 14th of February with full intent to do
whatever the Lord asked.
I really hope they follow through. They're SO CLOSE.
We got transfer calls last night, and for all of our
preparation for the area to be closed, we were told that we're both
staying.
It was a really hard night. I wanted so badly to go and do
something grand for my last transfer, and nothing changed. All of the sudden I
found myself stuck in an area that's fallen apart and will be closed in six
weeks, wondering how in the world I would find the motivation to get out and
work and not be trunky. I was angry and devastated, and I cried a lot. I know
that the Lord knows best, but I'm still trying to be okay with it.
It's okay, though. I have faith that I am exactly where the
Lord needs me, even if it's exactly where I didn't want to be. I just need to
do what I can.
So that's what I'll do.
Have a great week, my friends. Please know that I love and
appreciate y'all so much. It's true - all of it. I know it.
Love,
Sister Lil
P.S. Sister Lynes was invited to join a secret homeschool
group this week. Who knows what that's about - so her husband, the bishop, made
a joke about their secret combinations. Oh, Mormons. #ldshumor
#idontthinkitshouldbethisfunn
Downtown! From the car...not breathtaking.
The museum crew.
This statue is standing rather sass-ish-ly.
This skeleton man was just thrown by a woolly mammoth. Poor
guy.
Me and my forefathers.
This man is force feeding the goose - the information plaque
said so. What in the world?
Mummified cat. Why? Just, why?
Gemstone skull
Elder Kieth squahes the giant mountain of clothes at the
thrift store sorting room.
This dog was following us.
Oh, Shay.
Elder Nielson's birthday was on Saturday, so we made him a
cake and brought it over at 7 in the morning.
Kate eats her first Mexican food in 18 months.
They keep trying to put my picture in the departing
missionaries section. Silly people...
Return of the emailing selfieeee!
No comments:
Post a Comment