I think my mind just thinks that if I'm righteous enough,
this email will write itself and be clever and witty and spiritually uplifting
all at the same time.
Alas, I don't think I'll ever be that righteous.
#apologiestothereaders
Transfers have come and gone, and we are just chugging
along. Sister Hudgens and I are still here, but we're one of two companionships
in the zone that didn't change. The Westfield Elders and Cypress Creek Elders were
white washed, Elder Evans was transferred, and Sister Davis went home. Still
sad about that one.
Side note - We went to the office on Monday to say goodbye
to Sister Davis. President Mortensen walked in and we invited him to be in our
sad picture.
SAD picture, President. He is TOTALLY fired from being in
any more sad pictures.
Anyway. One of the Cypress Creek Elders went to Westfield,
and then we got a whole bunch of kids from all over the mission. We also got
Elder Misa, who's from American Samoa. Elder Misa is HILARIOUS. He was picked
to play for the All Blacks before his mission but gave it up to come here. (I
kind of had a fan girl moment when we got in the car,) and he told us that
rugby was his girlfriend when we asked is he had anyone waiting for him.
The newest edition to the Olde Oaks posse is Elder Yanzon
from the Phillipines. He's only been out three months, but he's pretty much a
rock star. President says he'd going to be an apostle. All I know is that he's
great and we're happy to have him. He and Elder Nielson are on fire. Holla!
So many stories, so little time.
"I Knew From the Opening Prayer That We Were in For
It"
Last week while we were knocking doors, we met a family who
let us in and talked to us. They were very kind, but the dad knew the Bible
better than I know the English language. We asked if we could have more time to
study, and then naturally asked President Mortensen to come with us, because
he's kind of a scriptural boss.
Monday rolls around, we go back for another meeting, and it
starts off really well. President's all personable, they talk about sports and
such, and then we ask if Seth (dad) would like to start with a prayer.
Seth starts off his prayer by praying to Jehovah.
I kind of freaked out internally. I didn't say much.
President whipped out all of his knowledge and tried desperately to get them to
see that the root of our differences was the Book of Mormon. It was a long
appointment. We're going back tonight, and I'm hoping that if it doesn't go
well that we don't have to go back.
Jehovah's Witnesses. Gotta love 'em
"Any Millionaire, Look 'Em Up - They're a
Mormon"
There's a couple that live across the street from one of our
members that we contacted a few months ago, and they're adorable. We've been
wanting to invite them to learn for a while now, but we've never been sure of
how to bring it up. We had the fabulous Kate out with us (she just got back
from her mission last week,) so we decided to go for it, even though we still
had no idea what to say. We got there, Ashlee opened the door.. and I asked if
I could use their bathroom. #smooth It worked, though. We got to teach them the
Restoration, and it went really well. Nick knows quite a few members, and he
kept asking how we got to Utah - so when Sister Hudgens said that Joseph Smith
went to a quiet place to pray, he said, "So he walked to Utah?" Too
funny. They were so kind and really receptive, though.
So, it was a total shock when they texted us the next day
and told us that they were happy with their religion and wanted to cancel out
return appointment.
Sometimes agency stinks.
"You're in the Wrong Place" "Well, Do You Know
Where the Right Place Might Be?"
We've done a lot of tracting this week. You see, I felt
really prompted and a little coerced into making a covenant with the Lord this
week that I would invite 15 people to learn and invite someone to be baptized
every day. Covenant is a big word, so I've been all over that.
For the record, I still really don't like knocking doors -
people are mean. (White people especially - can I be racist against my own
people?) Exhibit A, the title of this story, which was said by a nasty man at
this door. The response is Sister Hudgens trying to be clever. Yes, she really
said that.
There were a couple of nights this week were I was just sick
as a dog, but I had promises to keep, so I prayed a lot and kept on going. And
you know what, we were able to reach our goal all week after I promised. It's
really cool to see how the Lord helps us keep our promises.
That's all I have time for. Have a great week! I sure do
love you!
Love,
Sister Lil
Sister Davis left me...this makes me sad.
I found this onsie at the thrift store while we were
volunteering. Elder Meyers tries on all the crazy stuff. #sucker
This is where my mom would land if she were in Houston.
#justalittletoofaraway
I kind of love this picture.
Elder Nielson finished all of his dinner.
Elder Yanzon's reaction to his companion.
No comments:
Post a Comment