Holiday greetings, email readers. 'Tis good to email you
this fine day. It was a little last minute, so I don't have my journal with me
- let's see how this goes. My memory's been getting worse and worse as time has
gone on. I'm an old lady, you see.
It's been a doozy of a week, let me tell you. Ups, downs,
and all arounds - especially in the temperature. #whytexaswhy #itsdecember
#justbecolddangit
Amber's missing - well, we haven't been able to talk to her
all week. We texted her yesterday for church and got a reply that said,
"she not here." Talk about awkward. We're hoping that all is
well.
Mirta has been all bipolar this week, and we got a text on
Saturday that said, "just so you know...please stop coming to my home...i
dont want any church servises...i am happily married." Probably the oddest
drop I've ever had - it's also awkward because she's not married. That's the
issue. Who knows what's going on there.
We got a media referral for a lady named Dawn. She's an old,
black lady, and she was totally impressed with the son of a member that came to
visit her. She's a very interesting lady, so I have no idea how this'll go. The
conversation was mostly normal...until we got a half an hour lecture on
Christmas being a pagan holiday.
Um... Okay. I just sat there and tried not to look too
incredulous.
Emily is an investigator that the Klein Oak Elders found for
us, seeing as how they live in our area. She is a doll and has gone through a
lot, and she wants to get back to church and find some direction in life. I think
we can help with that. We were going to meet with her yesterday, but she
rescheduled for next week, so we'll just see her then. I have faith in her,
though.
We got to do some quickie exchanges this week with the
Ponderosa Sisters. Sister Bates, Sister Jeppson's baby, has been super uber
sick, so I went with Sister Jeppson on Wednesday to get stuff done while Sister
Hudgens babysat, and we took turns being in yesterday. Basically, I love those
Sisters. A lot. I've adopted Sister Bates as my goddaughter, because she's
basically like a little Sister Liljenquist. It's a little crazy.
On Wednesday Sister Jeppson and I went to go visit a less
active family in Ponderosa ward. They have a 19 year-old, so being my brash,
bold self, I asked him when he was going on a mission. He was a lot more open
than I thought he'd be, and we had an amazing talk with him about it where we
helped him to see that serving was exactly what he needed.
We had our Christmas conference on Friday, and it was the
first time in my 16 months that the entire mission was together. (There are a
ton of us. It was crazy.) They did such a great job - we all had stockings with
letters from home, there was a naughty and nice list (the Assistants were the
only ones that didn't make the nice list,) and there were packages for all of
us from Santa when we were finished. And, we got to watch a movie. Hello,
Christmas.
President had Sister Ae and I sing our song for the entire
mission at lunchtime - and then he printed out the lyrics so that everyone
could sing along. We just kept looking at each other and saying, "This is
ridiculous. I can't believe this is actually happening." Everyone loved
it, though, so it's good.
One last story - while I was in the Ponderosa ward last
night, we went to visit one of the member families - and guess who was there?
Miss Cassidy Stay! She's been living there since her family was killed, and
I've been dying to see her since I was transferred. I walked in the door and it
took a second before she recognized me, and then she screamed, "You're
back!" and ran over to hug me. Oh man, I miss that girl. We geeked out a
little bit, and she told me all about her trip to Salt Lake with Elder Foster,
the Seventy who spoke at the funeral. She is just amazing - not that I didn't
know that already, but it was just a good reminder. She's doing so well, and she
made a joke about the sweet scar she has from the bullet that hit her. She also
showed us the Christmas tree she has with all of her family ornaments on it. I
can't even handle how great she is. We're going to be best friends forever - we
decided that last night.
Christmastime is a hard time for missionary work, but it's
also the best. There are a lot of people - most of them - who are so caught up
in the busyness that they don't take the time to even think. I have faith,
though. I know that people are waiting for us, and I know that we can find
them. Christmas will be able to help someone come closer to Christ - we just
have to find them.
That's all. Have an excellent week, ma friends. Happy
Christmas!
Love,
Sister Ventriloquist
Perfect Christmas picture - lights, Peruvian scarf, Santa
hat, Name tag, and a beautiful smile.
you're welcome.
Pacie read me a story.
Betty made a beautiful face for me.
We got flowers when we did service at the Arboretum
Grace and Paige Mortensen - and me.
The dapper Mortensen boys
Elder Hillebrant's reaction to being on the naughty list
I got to see Santa!
Elder Nielson LOVES caroling
Sister Jeppson, Cassidy and I - but maybe not in that
order.
No comments:
Post a Comment