Monday, December 15, 2014

In Which Betty Is Paid to Shut Up and I Speak Like Mormal Purple



Hey, dudes. 

Yep.

This week - it's been a long one. I think my outlook is darkened by the fact that I haven't eaten since 5 o'clock this morning (#teachingseminaryforthewin) and my stomach is growling, but again, Fick-Chil-A is in my future, so all is well. 

At least, that's what I tell myself. 

We had a few days this week where we were booked solid all day - a great thing, except when those days don't allow for food. (Again with the food thing - I'm a happy person as long as there's food in my belly, I've found.) We make sure that food happens, though, and I'm good. 

It's also been a long week in terms of the events that have transpired. See below - 

Amber: Oh, Amber. She's just so confused. We met with her twice this week, and it was like I was talking to a different person. She's become more hardened and closed off, which is heartbreaking. She told us this week that she really only believes in a higher power (you can call it God if you want,) and that the Bible just seems like slavery to her. 

We didn't quite figure out what that one meant, but I don't buy it, so I'm not too worried. She is just so incredible, and she has such a strong testimony - I know it. The issue is that she doesn't know it. We're doing all we can to help her discover that, but it's slow going. Which means patience. I don't like that. 

Mirta: SOMEONE has been dodging us... or something like that. I wouldn't say dodging because I feel like she's just not thinking about us at all. Which is also a problem. We stopped by her house and set up an appointment, which she cancelled about an hour in advance. 

Again with the patience thing. 

Betty: So, I love Betty. She's hilarious. She told us this week that her daughters pay her to shut up, so if she ever gets really broke, she'll just start singing. 

The deal with Betty is that she just - she has all of these walls set up for herself. She thinks she's too brash to come to church, and she won't accept any help to stop smoking so she can go to the temple (which she really wants to do.) Oh, stubborn people. I don't know how to help them. 

Probably more patience. Ugh. 

The good news is that we introduced her to her new home teacher, Brother Reichardt, and they are basically peanut butter and jelly. I'm really excited for that. 

Rebecca: Rebecca is actually an investigator from the Klein Oak ward, but they have Elders, and her husband does NOT want the Elders teaching her. We met her this week and she is just fabulous, and she already has a strong testimony from all that the Sisters taught her before they left. The issue is that we can't get a hold of her most of the time - and she drunk texts us a lot. And the times when she's not drunk, I still can't understand anything. 

Plus, she cancelled on us for church yesterday after I put myself out there and called a random member to get her a ride. 

I have no idea what's going on with this lady. 

Sarah: Sarah is Sister Miranda's daughter - the one who just wanted to be baptized? We were teaching her and were really excited for her baptismal date on the 27th - that is, until Sister Miranda told us on Saturday that she and her husband think that Sarah doesn't know enough and want her to wait for a few months. We tried talking to her - it didn't really work. 

More patience. 

It's been a rough week, I won't lie. I've been pretty depressed and down and grumpy, which is really annoying this late in the game because I've found that the depression translates really well into trunkiness. 

Which sucks. 

I've been trying to figure out what the Lord wants me to learn, and I'm not quite sure, but I think it has something to do with trusting Him and in His approval more than anything else. I have this idea of this missionary that I want to become, and I feel even more hard pressed to become her with only a little bit of time left. I want to sprint, but I'm also exhausted and imperfect, which greatly interfere with my ambitions. 

(The "mormal purple" is my attempt at saying "normal people" this morning - it's getting bad.)

I don't know the solution yet, but I have faith that the Lord, who knows ultimately more than I do, knows, and that He'll help me find it. In the mean time, I just do what I can. 

Plus, it's almost Christmas. I love Christmas. 

That's all. I sure hope that everyone has a fantastic week, and I shall write again soon. Y'all are great.

Love, 

Sister Liljenquist 
("I'm assuming that's your last name. What do people call you? ["People just call me that, or they make stuff up] Oh - that's long." - Lady in the parking lot, and basically everyone else in the greater Houston area.) 




Tow truck, Bible belt style.

Bishop Lynes wants YOU to go on splits with members!


Oh, the goonies we find at the mission office. 
 
Emailing selfies are the best.



No comments: