Monday, March 31, 2014

In Which Transfer Calls Would Be a Good Idea and Elders on Bikes Get Tickets



Greetings, friends. 'Tis I, Sister Liljenquist, coming to you from yet another area. I think I'm good for a while - at least I hope so. I do not want to pack again, thank you very much. I really, really don't like packing. 

I am currently serving in the Windrose Ward, which is in the Klein Stake. It's actually really close to Westfield - and even closer to Oak Ridge. It's really odd that I've served in three different stakes but have stayed in the same area. I could drive to all three in about 20 minutes. Anyway, I digress. My companion is Sister Christensen - remember her? We were in the same MTC district. It's pretty crazy stuff. 

Transfer meeting was a party, as always. It started at 9, and by 9:45, I decided that I should really find my companion and go. The problem was that I couldn't find her anywhere. I talked to one of the Assistants who asked me if she had gotten a transfer call. I told him that I had no idea, so he called her. A couple of minutes later, he walked over and said, "They'll be about an hour. Do you want to come hang out in the office for a bit?" Sister Harrison had no idea that she was being transferred - they threw all of her stuff together in a half an hour and drove to the Hafer building as fast as they could. 

This week has been pretty uneventful. I came into the area to find that we have no investigators - none whatsoever. We've been doing a lot of walking and talking without much success. We're hoping to be able to get to know the ward more and find investigators that way. It's going to take a lot of experimenting, I think, and some patience. Oh, patience. How I struggle with thee. 

Our District is made up of us and two other sets of Elders. All four of them have only been out for 3 months, which means that Sister Christensen and I are old ladies. What? That is not allowed to happen - I just got here. It's been good to have that realization, though. I know that I looked up to people when I got here, and I don't want to do anything stupid that would leave a bad example. 

One of these dear Elders, who shall go nameless for his own sake, has procured not one but two tickets for himself...while riding his bike. Picture this - he comes up to an intersection and sees a crossing guard in front of him. He is turning left, so he assumes that he is good to go, so after the customary stop, he proceeds through the intersection. Once there, he is stopped by a policeman who writes two tickets - one for going through the intersection and the other because of the fact that it was a school zone...or something like that. They come up to about $445. He has to go to court. 

It's been a bit of a long week. I'm not the biggest fan of change, in case you couldn't tell, and it's been really hard coming into an area where the work is at a stand still. I've learned a lot about patience and I've been working really hard on my faith to find people - it's hard to remember that there are people prepared when you can't seem to find any of them. I'm determined to change that, though. We will find people, and we will make Windrose into the most happenin' area in the mission. The ward is fantastic, and I've come to love them really quickly. I have hope, and I have faith. It's going to be good. 

Keep up the good work! I love you!

Sister Liljenquist



Elder Peterson and I are SUPER cool. 

Sister McLean and I make excellent faces.


Elders on bikes. 

 
Texas clouds + Thunderstorm = Awesome

Leann and her turtle


No comments: