Monday, February 24, 2014

In Which I Experience the Peanut Butter Life and Every Baptism Needs a Cousin It

Why, hello there. It's nice to...send you an email. I hope all is well. I'm still in Houston, being a missionary. It's cool like that. 

I can't remember the things that happened - thank goodness for my journal or y'all wouldn't get anything, ever. We've been doing a lot of visiting people - less actives, investigators, potential investigators, investigators who just freaking need to start progressing - all that jazz. Our area is small enough that we don't ever have to worry about miles, which is a really weird thing coming from the land where we never had enough, so we just drive around and try to talk to people. Most of the time they don't listen to us, but that's beside the point. 

The Sisters found an investigator right before I got here named Ken. He's just the cutest old man (but he's not super old, which is nice.) We had stopped by before to set up an appointment and gave him a Book of Mormon, and when we went over for our appointment on Tuesday the first thing he did was give it to us and say, "I wanted to give this back." The print was too small, never fear. We did get a little freaked out, though. It was a really good lesson, and I think he's going to be great. 

We've been having issues with people who really aren't prepared to hear from us lately, so a lot of our lessons are us gauging whether or not we should keep teaching them. It's frustrating, to say the least. It's hard to stop teaching people you know so well, but you also come to a point where it's not helping either of you. 

This week we got to go and help out at the peanut butter cannery. Mission dream? Fulfilled. I've heard about it since I got here, but I didn't actually think that I'd get to go. We went to help at the bishop's storehouse on Tuesday but they didn't have work for us to do, so they sent us over to the cannery. It was pretty excellent, though it did cement the idea that I would never be able to work in a factory. My job was to clean the peanut butter gloobies off of the rim of the jar before someone else put the lid on so that it would seal correctly. It was thrilling. #notreally 

Christelle was baptized on Saturday. It was a little bit stressful because of people who decided to not get back to us, so we didn't know if they were actually coming, even though they were supposed to be conducting, and then she came late... But, all went well, and it was a good service. We got celebratory Lasagna House afterwards. 

That's all I can really think of. This seems super short. Ah, well. Have a wonderful week and I will talk to you soon. 


Love, Me.


Elder Brittain demonstrates good hygiene by brushing his teeth just before the baptism. 

Elder Barlow splits his eye in a super legit way with his car key. (They have a newer car than we do, by the way. Why they keep giving the new cars to the Elders, I don't know.) 


These ladies sang for the baptism - they're pretty great. 

No comments: