Friday, March 13, 2015

In Which All of My Movie Catching Up Proves to Be Extremely Educational

Hello again! It's me. I'm still alive and kicking, and I'm still not a missionary. I'm still getting used to that one. I am pleased to report, however, that I have come to a point where I'm happy and comfortable here. I'm not adjusted by any means, but I'm all about the baby steps.

There are several cool things about being home. Sleeping is definitely at the top of that list, closely followed by spending time with my family and talking with people I haven't seen in a really long time. I'm also a big fan of catching up - music, TV, movies. Ah - I love movies. I forgot how great they are - absence makes the heart grow much fonder.

Now, I'm all about the life lesson thing. The more I look at my time in Houston, the more I see these amazing, incredible lessons that the Lord taught me - countless little golden nuggets, and I'm pretty sure that I'm only scratching the surface. I have a lot of faith that those moments aren't confined to the mission field, and I am bound and determined to recognize more of them in the real world. Because I love them.

What I wasn't expecting was to be taught the answer to one of my deepest questions by Professor Charles Xavier.

First, some background -

I went on my mission without a whole lot of knowledge about the world. I thought I was pretty mature, and I think I was, but I definitely didn't have the experience I may have thought I did. As a missionary, I was part of the "rescue effort" in each ward I served in, and I spent all of my time looking for those who needed the Savior. That meant that I spent most of my time with people who were broken, and who had deep issues that left me...floundering, honestly. I remember one afternoon in particular when I felt like everyone had dumped everything they had on me, and it left me feeling dark and dirty and weighed down - it was not a good feeling.

At the beginning, it overwhelmed me. I had absolutely no idea how to cope with it, and it broke me down in a lot of ways. As time passed and I learned more about the gospel, and especially as my knowledge, understanding, and testimony of the Savior and Atonement grew, I was more able to cope with everything. I knew that I couldn't do anything for these people besides bring them closer to the only One who could help them. As I saw all of this, my testimony grew, but I still didn't get it. I wondered more than once if it was worth it to love and help people when there was so much pain involved. I had a firm testimony that all of the trials we're given are for our benefit, but I wondered  how the Savior was equipped to handle every struggle that every single person would ever have.

This week my mom and I spent some quality bonding time catching up on excellent movies. One such excellent movie is X-Men: Days of Future Past.

For the record, that is a supremely excellent movie.

I kind of have to talk about the movie, so it may ruin things for you if you haven't seen it. I'm not giving away the ending, just the middle. But it's kind of an inevitable middle, so it won't ruin your life. At least, I hope not.

Charles Xavier is a mutant who is able to read, control, and influence others' minds. He's a really good guy. The movie is set in the 1960s during the Vietnam War and to make a long story short, Charles has started taking a serum of some kind that takes away his powers and leaves his mind quiet so that he doesn't have to deal with the struggles of everyone around him. There's a huge danger that needs to be taken care of, however, and in order to get rid of it, Charles needs to use his powers in conjunction with a machine called Cerebro. All of this comes to a head, and in a sci-fi moment, Charles talks to his older self. This is what ensues:

Young Charles: "You still believe?"
Old Charles: "Just because someone stumbles, loses their way, doesn't mean they’re lost forever. Sometimes we all need a little help."
Young Charles: "I’m not the man I was. I open my mind and it almost overwhelms me."
Old Charles: "You’re afraid and Cerebro knows it."
Young Charles: "All those voices – so much pain"

Old Charles: "It’s not their pain you’re afraid of. It’s yours, Charles. And as frightening as it may be, that pain will make you stronger. If you allow yourself to feel it, embrace it, it will make you more powerful than you ever imagined. It’s the greatest gift we have – to bear their pain without breaking, and it’s born from the most human power – hope. Please, Charles, we need you to hope again."


Do you see it?

Each one of us has that same gift - each of us has the power to help those around us. Those that are broken, those that are lost, those that don't want to find their way back. The greatest blessing of the gospel is that all of this doesn't have to break us. 

We have the gospel of Jesus Christ! We know that whatever happens, whatever happens, it will all work out in the end. There is always happiness and joy to be had. When we have that eternal perspective, when we have hope, nothing can break us. We can truly become disciples and representatives of Jesus Christ, and we can receive His power to do more than we ever could have imagined. 

Preach My Gospel says this in Chapter 6, which is about Christlike Attributes -
"Hope is an abiding trust that the Lord will fulfill His promises to you... When you have hope, you work through trials and difficulties with the confidence and assurance that all things will work together for your good. Hope helps you conquer discouragement. The scriptures often describe hope in Jesus Christ as the assurance that you will inherit eternal life in the celestial kingdom." (Preach My Gospel, p. 117)

As I look back, I see that the pain I experienced has made me stronger, and I really do believe that it's given me greater ability to hope, and greater ability to love. I'm not saying in any way that I understand what the Savior feels, but I am grateful for his giving me the understanding I want so much - even when it comes from X-Men. 

Take some time to be more hopeful. Ask for the Lord's help in the trials you've been entrusted with. Go help people. 

It'll be worth it, I promise. 

Love, Me


These hooligans were married last weekend, I got to go to the sealing. Lucky duck. 


The Gilbert Temple is beautiful. 


Quisty and some of the companions - the former Sisters Cecil and Ogden came, too. It was a party. Literally. 


I was reunited with the Van Engelenhoven cookies. Words cannot describe my joy. 


This is the former Elder Frandsen and the former Sister King, now called Eric and Jocelyn. We went out to lunch this week, and it was super awesome. 


Then, when I went to FHE at the singles ward that night, I found this kid again. 


Indy and Sven like to hang out with me.


Nate loves Lisa


I went to dinner with these fine people last night, and it was also super awesome. I hadn't seen David in 2 1/2 years - insanity. 

No comments: