Transfer week is a really odd thing because I'm pretty sure
that the beginning of the week actually happened last year, not just a few days
ago. However, logic tells me otherwise, so I shall accept that. Maybe.
Lots of goodbyes, but lots of new friends. It's quite
disorienting, but I have about 30 million more changes just like this one in
the next 16 months, so I should get used to it, right? By the way, today is my
two month mark away from home. Hooray!
We said goodbye to Sister Zamacona, and Elders Peterson and
Vought, which was sad. They're done, though, and have many more adventures to
partake in, so I guess it's okay, even though I miss them and stuff. We got to
meet our new District Leader on Tuesday at the Nature Center where we give
service. His name is Elder Barney, he's been out 16 months, and he's a pretty
quality guy. He's never been a District Leader before and he's been in the same
Zone for the past 16 months, so we were a bit worried about him, but he's doing
really well. I like him.
While we were at Nature Land, I was being quite the arteest
and taking nature pictures. I'm quite talented, you know. I was looking around
and saw a wee snake in the leaves. It was small, and every time I've seen
snakes before and freaked out people say they're harmless and make fun of me,
so I decided to be a brave explorer and take pictures of it. It wasn't moving,
so I got closer and closer - and then it decided to jump, which made me jump,
which made everyone ask what was happening. Elder Murdock came over and said,
"I think that's one of the poisonous kind. See the Hershey kiss pattern?
Yep, that's a copperhead."
Oh.
I felt like a complete and total idiot. The Nature Land
people came and took it to a safer place and I just tried to pretend it didn't
happen.
That night we got to teach Raymundo. He actually showed up
this time, and we taught him the Plan of Salvation. While we were talking about
trials and struggles, we asked if there were any times in his life when he had
gone through something hard but had learned a valuable lesson from it. He said
that when he was growing up in the Dominican Republic, he played baseball and
worked hard at it. He wasn't progressing, though, and told his dad that he
wanted to quit. His dad told him to come to the church with him and pray (his
family is all Catholic,) and though Raymundo wasn't too keen on going, he went
anyway. He said that he prayed and prayed and nothing happened, so he stormed
out of the church in tears. As he walked away, a man walked past him and
slipped a small piece of paper into his hand. Raymundo had a hard time
translating it into English, but it said something to the effect of,
"Don't rush, pray about it." Because of that, he kept at it. He was
able to play all through school and is now playing for Lone Star College, which
is right next to our area. What?! That's just cool. The Spirit was so strong
and he told us that he felt it and that he wanted that feeling more often, so
we were all excited, and then he pulled out the baptism card again. He thinks
that he doesn't need religion if God is in his heart, and he really doesn't see
the need for baptism because he's already been baptized. UGH. I just don't even
know what to do about that boy. He said he'd read and pray, though, and he's
been good about that, so we'll see.
The other Sisters in our District are training, but they're
in a biking area, so we drove them to the transfer meeting on Thursday. It was
quite the adventure. We met Elder Cornwall's new companion, Elder Martinez.
He's been out before, but about 6 months in he tore his ACL and meniscus, so
he's been home for about the same amount of time. We heard all kinds of stories
of how he did it, like getting hit by a car, but it turns out that he just
stepped on it wrong while playing soccer on P Day. We told him that he needs to
adopt a better story. He would be a really cool guy if he hadn't told us last
night that he only likes Sister Quist - not me. Now, he's on my list. He'd
better watch himself.
The Imperial Oaks Sisters are training a girl named Sister
Pugh, and Sister Laws who lives in our complex is training a Sister Nielson,
who is from Logan and knows all of my Logan friends. They're great. Sister Pugh
was showing me all of her bug bites on the second day and I totally felt for
her. Don't tell, but I bought her some anti-itch cream at the store today as a
welcome gift. I'm pretty nice, I know.
When I got home, I had THREE letters. It was the best day. I
got one from my good friend Elder Jack in Germany, and he told me that he had
an Elder Bret Smith in his District - the same Bret Smith that I was in love
with my entire jr. high career. He said that Elder Smith knew it was from me
because he recognized my handwriting... Yeah. So, the two loves of my teenage
life have found each other halfway across the world.
Saturday was the Imperial Oaks Sister's baptism, so we took
them over early and figured that we'd kill a bit of time and pretend
to help until the service started. We arrived and found their Ward Mission
Leader without shoes and slacks rolled up to his knees. He informed us that the
font was not plugging correctly and would not fill, so we had an hour to fill
about 2 hours worth of water and solve the plug issue. Ooookay. We tried many
unsuccessful things until one of the ward members brought some bricks with
which we sort of stopped the leaking. We then used every available water source
to supplement the filling. We had buckets in the cleaning closet, the kitchen,
and we even made the Elders go out to the spigot at the pavilion outside and
use that. We filled it in the nick of time (it was still running during the
opening prayer and hymn and the baptism went first in case the water went
down,) so all was well.
Things are going well here. We've felt a little more
excitement from the ward and are hoping that we're right and it'll translate to
more member help. Our contacting is just not working, so we've been trying to
get creative. We also mentioned to our bishop yesterday that President Pingree
had asked about putting a set of Elders in our ward as well as a set of Sister,
and the bishop got all fired up - he's really excited, and the ward council
seemed excited to help us as well.
My thought today is to re-listen to or re-watch Elder
Ballard's talk from Conference. Often we receive instructions from the Spirit
or things are suggested during Conference, but very rarely do the Brethren come
out with a firm, universal commitment. An apostle of the Lord asked each and
every member to bring someone to church before Christmas. That's a big deal! It
doesn't mean that they have to get baptized or even that they have to take the
lessons, it only means that they need to come. There are people waiting to hear
the message of the Gospel, or we wouldn't have been given that challenge. Take
it to heart and remember that the things that we're asked to do are only given
to us to bless us. Do it, Bandy!
So, I love y'all, and you're great. Keep being good and
WRITE MORE LETTERS, DERFS.
Love, Me.
Sister Laws and Sister Zamacona love each other.
My snake friend.
This is how we fill the font. Because we're cool. Or
something like that.
I pull off the fixing the font look really nicely, eh?
Elder Chatwin is very stunning.
No comments:
Post a Comment