Monday, October 21, 2013

In Which Fire Alarms Do Not Make For Very Productive Studying and Elder Williams is Thirsty



Hm. It's Pants Day. I love Pants Day. I miss pants - a lot. Pants don't blow around in the wind, or make it impossible to lounge. I think the lounging thing might be the point, but I digress.

So. This week was pretty freaking awesome because it was bookended by trips to the temple. Two in one weeks. Aren't I the luckiest duck? We went to a session on Tuesday morning, and it was just wonderful. I love the temple, guys. I was able to talk to Sister Elliot, who was in my Mission Prep class at Utah State, and we chatted about our struggles. It's really comforting to know that other missionaries are struggling, too. You know, logically, that they are, but a lot of the time it seems like you're the only one.

We ate dinner with the Clarks on Monday of last week. I was a little apprehensive about meeting with them, but I can say in all honesty that they win the award for the least awkward meal of the two months I've been here. A lot of the time members don't know what to say, or we don't know what to say, and no matter how much you like people, there's always a certain amount of awkwardness. Not with the Clarks. They're just great. We had a lot of fun and laughed a lot, and we talked about all kinds of stuff - mission stuff, real life stuff, the whole kit and caboodle. My favorite part, though, would probably have had to have been their daughter, Emma. She's 7, has lost both of her front teeth (she denies kissing boys, but we all know the truth,) and is just the spitting image of a 7-year old me, it's ridiculous. We'd be telling stories, and then she'd come up with some comment out of the middle of nowhere that had absolutely nothing to do with anything. It made sense to her, but the rest of us were completely lost. She also watched herself in the window as she talked, and was so full of energy it was ridiculous. It was at that moment that I gained a lot of respect for my parents.

We had another discussion with Raymundo on Tuesday night. I can honestly say that I've never been in a more powerful lesson in my whole life. We were able to talk to Sister Widdison, his cousin, before hand, and she gave us some important insight into his life that made the night go so much better. She also speaks Spanish, so when Raymundo was confused, they'd just go off in Spanish for a few seconds and then we'd be back on the same page. We taught the second half of the Plan of Salvation and were able to talk to him about self esteem and divine nature - he asked the question, "Why me?" and that brought the Spirit so strongly - it was amazing. We were able to get past the baptism road block and were really able to get to him, I think. We'll be back on Thursday, so I guess we'll see then.

Thursday we had weekly planning. We started of the morning with personal study...that was, until the fire marshal came to inspect and test all of the fire alarms in our building. So, for the next two hours or so, the fire alarm - the really loud, eardrum bursting kind - would go off at random intervals. I jumped every single time and just about lost my mind. It was ridiculous.

Friday was a rough day. It started off badly, and then little things kept getting to me and irritating me until I was totally depressed. I felt like an empty turtle shell - I didn't care about anything because I couldn't see the good in anything. I was just in a funk and ended up crying to Sister Quist in the car on the way from service, so we went home and I tried to sleep. I felt horrible, and didn't want anything to do with anything ever again.

I was just about to fall asleep when I got a prompting. Earlier that day we'd gotten a referral from the College Park Elders with a referral. Some lady had stopped them while they were shopping at the Wal Fart and started chatting. She said that her daughter was a member, and then gave them her address and phone number. As she was walking away, she got on the phone with her daughter and said something to the effect of, "Maybe if they come by we can get your dad back to church again." They live in our area, so the Elders sent it on to us. It was in the midst of my slumber that I got the feeling that we needed to go visit them. I was a bit annoyed, seeing as I very much enjoy sleeping and I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone, but usually when I get feelings that strongly, something cool happens, so I got up and told Sister Quist, and we set off. We got to the house and the lady who had talked to the Elders wasn't dressed to talk to us, but her daughter came out. Her name is Morgan, and she's 21. She was raised in the church and baptized while she lived with her grandma, but when she passed away, Morgan just fell away. She's at a point where she doesn't really know anything, but really wants to come to church again and rekindle her childhood. We set up an appointment right there and are pretty sure that her parents - who aren't members - will take the discussions at some point as well. Pretty cool, eh?

We got to go to the temple again on Saturday with one of Sister Quist's recent converts, Anais, to go and do baptisms for the dead for the first time. It was so cool. Our friend Kaity from the horse ranch was getting married that morning, so President Pingree and the APs were there for that, and we got to see all of them. I just love the temple. A man and his son came in at the same time as we did, and he looked so familiar to me. I couldn't peg him for the life of me, but he just looked really familiar. He did the confirmations for Sister Quist and the 2 people that went with her, and then performed baptisms and left. As we left, I finally figured it out (I'm pretty sure I didn't figure it out before then for a reason, now that I think about it) - we were just chilling in the temple with Bronco Mendenhall and his son, along with a few football players and Cougarettes. No big deal. It was pretty funny.

On Saturday night we got the opportunity to help out at Kaity's wedding reception. We weren't sure that we should go, but prayed about it and felt that we should, so we did. It was just wonderful. The weather was perfect, there weren't too many people there, and she and Zach were so adorable I couldn't even handle it. We also got good food. Always a bonus. It was a difficult night for the Elders, however. I'm told that the slang for missing interaction with the ladies is "being thirsty," and poor Elder Williams was very thirsty all night. There was a photo booth with some mustaches and thought bubbles on sticks to use, and Elder Williams told hold of the kissy lips and held onto them. Zach signed them for him later that night.

Okay. Well, I love you, and you're great and all that jazz. Keep working hard and remember that the Lord loves you and is aware of you - just ask Him. He'll show you. Promise.

Also, write me letters. I'm talking to everyone. WRITE. ME. LETTERS.

Love,
Me. 



Look how cute we are - totes adores.

Sister Laws and Sister Nielsen. Can you get any cuter than this? I'm not sure.

Sister Quist made me a Kermit hat. I am officially the luckiest duck ever.



The Houston Temple is Beautiful, non?

Elder Williams is thirsty, and it looks like Elder Barlow is a bit concerned.

The new Mr. and Mrs. Zach and Kaity Fisher...and me.  








No comments: