Friday, August 23, 2013

In Which Allison Becomes Sister Liljenquist and Beans Fall Into Outer Darkness



Oh, Hello. 

Holy cow. I cannot believe it's been a week since I last emailed. I keep thinking that I've told you things, and then I remember that I haven't and I get overwhelmed. It's okay. We're going to make it. Faith. Trust. A little pixie dust would be nice. I've decided that I'll send you my journals once they're finished so you can read in more detail, so I don't feel so bad for not telling you everything that I want to. 

Thank you so much for your letters! Dad especially - they really mean a lot, and I've loved hearing from you. I didn't have mail or my package last time when I emailed, and then as soon as we got back to class, I was showered with love and letters and packages. I felt like a bit of a jerk. I also got a letter from my buddy Emily Jensen, who was called to the BEST mission in the world! Texas Houston, baby. She's Spanish speaking, though. We all have room for improvement. The package was wonderful, and it's made a lot of nights much more enjoyable. Thank you so much. Um, sisters. Are you dead? I thought you like me, but apparently not, because I haven't heard a word. No kitties either. Thanks a lot. 

Elder Thomas is in my travel group, actually. Sister Andersen is the travel leader, so we have the list of names. I haven't seen him yet, but some of the sisters in my district have. Crazy stuff. I also can't say that I'm too happy that Ted is totally taking over all of my stuff. If I weren't so completely cool, I'd probably be a little grumpy about it. As for the package, if you could send my wee hymn book, that'd be cool. I'd also really love that picture of dad and I - I think dad knows the one I'm talking about. I'm about 9, I have a really blonde bob and my Splash Mountain sweatshirt, and he and I are sitting in Disneyland making stupid faces. I think I'm going to buy a new set of scriptures when I get to Houston - I was going to ask you if you'd send me some, but then I remembered how heavy scriptures are. 

Okay. Life. I'm almost positive that the Lord messes with time in the MTC. Each day feels like about 3 normal days - between each meal is a day, and by the end of the day, you're more than exhausted. The weeks feel so short, though. I cannot believe I've been here longer than a week. This is crazy. Speaking of which, I leave this Wednesday. We have a 6:05 flight on American Airlines to Dallas, and then to Houston. We have to be to the travel office at...2:30 in the morning, at which point we have to ride the Frontrunner up to Sandy, then Trax up to the airport. Faith. 

Another act of faith - I've wanted to write to you every single day about everything that's going on, but it says to limit letter to P Day in the handbook. I talked to one of the branch presidency, Brother Bilbro, about it, and he promised that if I left all writing for P Day, I would be blessed with more focus and better writing when I do so. It's taken a lot of faith, and I've worried about y'all a lot, but I know that you're okay, and it's only a year and a half. I'm writing a lot of detail in my journals for you, so you'll be able to see as soon as I'm done. 

I have learned so much in the past week, it's crazy. I am not even sort of the same person who stepped out of the car on the 14th. I've become a total sponge, and I know the Lord is helping me because I would not have been able to make it this far on my own. As a general rule, we study in the morning for 2-3 hours, then have class for another 3 hours after lunch, and then another 3 hour class after dinner. Sooooo much learning, but it's so good. I love my district. They are so great, and we've learned a lot through our struggles together. 

For instance, all of our Elders were called to Vanuatu. However, none of them have visas. They have gotten false hope after false hope about getting to go, or getting reassignments. They were told they could go without them, they've been called over the intercom saying that their visas came, they were hinted rather maliciously by the other District Leader in our Zone that their reassignments have come...and nothing. They finally go them today, though. It was well deserved - those elders have so much faith, it's crazy. I look up to them a lot. They couldn't find Sister Andersen or I, so they opened them without us (a thought that I'm trying not to let bother me, punks...) and they're all going to either Long Beach, Everett Washington, or Atlanta, which means we get to keep them for a few more days, so I'm happy. 

Singing went so well! I was surprised at how excited I was to see the new missionaries come. I just love them, and they're so happy and excited. I sang Come Thou Fount, and I really think (or hope) that it was able to help them feel more calm and comfortable.

I should probably go now - I have no idea how long I've been on, but I'm probably past time. Please remember how much I love you. I think of you and pray for you every single day, and I hope you're doing well. I'll send letters when I can. As for calling on Wednesday, I'm going to try to call in Dallas - we have about an hour layover around 10 am, so I will try to call within the hour. Otherwise I would have been calling at 6:00 in the morning with the 30 other missionaries in our travel group, and no one wants that. I'll check for sure and send a letter tonight. You guys are the best. Have you started family prayer and scripture study? You should. Okay? Okay. Good. 

Love, Sister Liljenquist

Elder Goates! I knew him in high school. I was so excited to see him...and it's hard to express excitement with a handshake. Faith.








The sisters of District D - Sister Andersen, Me, Sister Possin, Sister Santistevan, Sister Walker, and Sister Christensen









The Elders - Ross, Brooks, Echols, Stoneberg, Woods, and Esplin





Look how cute we are...





Most of Zone 59

All of the Houston Sisters 






All of the Elders from Zone 59

Sister Takuvaka is the greatest...





The departing district... they're a bit odd. The Elders on each end were our Zone Leaders








Just look at how excited they are...

Did I say they were odd?





Zone Leaders Elders Child and Sutton and Echols

District Leaders Elders Stoneberg and Echols


Me and Sister Bilbro, the 2nd Counselor's wife









No comments: