Monday, August 19, 2013

Hello, Allison's family and friends. This is her Dad. Rather than forwarding her e-mails each week, which I may or may not ever do correctly, I've been advised just to post everything to her blog. We'll give this a try and see how it works. Here's the first e-mail we have received from her:



Herro, Famiry!
Hey, guys! (Even though we're not supposed to say guys anymore...but y'all aren't Elders of Sisters, so that'd be a bit silly.) How are you? I miss you a lot, but mostly I worry about you being sad. Remember how sad I was when Katie Schwendi left? I just saw y'all crying, and it made me sad, because I almost literally haven't stopped smiling since I got here. I love the MTC. I really, truly do. Dad's a whack job, because this place is great.
It is crazy how much I've learned in the past day and a half. I feel like a completely different person, and I'm completely serious. If I tried to tell you all the things I've learned, I'd be here all day long, and that'd be bad. The Lord is amazing, and had helped me more than I can say. Suffice it to say that the more I learn, the more I'm convinced I don't know anything. I've been telling people that it's a wonder to me that I can be so confused and completely overwhelmed and completely happy at the same time.
My companion is Sister Andersen. (I don't know if you've gotten my letter yet - I sent it yesterday morning, so if you have, you get some repeat stuff, because I honestly can't remember what I wrote.) She's from Camiah (Spelling = Bad), Idaho, which she defines as the middle of nowhere. She reminds me so much of Taleechia, it's trippy. I can't even handle it sometimes. I do love her, though - even if she has a crazy TWB. Patience. One of the many things I've learned.
I am in District D in Zone 59. Thrilling, I know. There are 3 Sister companionships including myself, and we're all going to Houston, and there are 3 sets of Elders who are all going to Vanuatu (where Bradley Mackay is! Crazy sauce.) I love them so much already, and I think they love me, because they deal with me when I go crazy at 9:00 at night. Let's just say that I described seeing President Uchtdorf at the movie theater with a bit too much enthusiasm. I wish I could describe all of them to you, because they are all characters. Maybe if I have some extra time today...we'll see.

For the most part, we've been in classrooms learning. I had such a headache yesterday simply from how much was crammed into my head. I love it, though. Everyone else likes to have fun, too, but we also have one of the best groups of people because everyone talks in discussions. I've been working on listening and not talking so much, and while it's hard, I've learned a lot and felt the Spirit much more clearly.
Cool experience! They have auditions for musical numbers for different meetings, and I wasn't going to audition. However, when two of the sisters left to go, the Spirit told me to stop being lazy and follow them. I was able to sing for Sister Nally, the MTC president's wife, and she told me that I was in the yes pile, and to check the mail. This has been difficult, however, seeing as Elder Stoneberg, our District Leader, was only called last night, so he just got the key to the mailbox, and it was closed, and we haven't seen him yet today. Last night though, I met our Branch President, President Boone, and one of the first things he said to me, after he talked about knowing Mike Liljenquist, is that I was chosen to sing for the new missionaries next Wednesday. What? That's so crazy, but so cool at the same time. I love to sing, especially when it can bring the Spirit.
Funny story. So, to get anywhere here, you have to slide your ID card. Elders Esplin and Woods were looking for their Residence Hall, so Elders Ross and Brooks pointed them towards a building. They tried their cards, but they wouldn't work for some reason. Two Sisters came by, and they explained their predicament. The Sisters kindly slid their cards and let the Elders in...only to find out that they couldn't get in because it was a Sisters Residence Hall. They were quite embarassed, and take good care to choose the correct building.
I've seen so many friends! I've seen Sisters Pugh, one from Waterford, one from Hillcrest, Sisters McLaws and Hassan from my program at Utah State and Elder Unice, who is the cousin of my bestest friend Hailey. How crazy is that?
I love you! I should go now, but know that I love you all, and am praying for you. Do good things. Pray, read scriptures, and be nice to your sisters. See if y'all can make family scripture study and prayer a thing again. I believe in you! The gospel is true, and I am so stinking excited to go teach it, I can't even handle it.
I ROVE YOU!
Sister Liljenquist
Or,
Sister Beautiful
(Yep. That happened in Zone Conference last night.)


The door to our room

The room

 More room 



Tag! Plus the noob sticker you get on the first day. 

From left to right, Sisters Possin, Walker, and Christensen

Sisters Andersen and Walker

4 comments:

grammy vicki said...

This is a great idea, and I would imagine much easier for you, Allison's dad!

grammy vicki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That's my little sister on the bottom left in the black blouse!

Thanks for posting. :)

Anonymous said...

Your daughter's companion is my daughter. Thanks for the post. The picture made me cry.