Okay.
First things first, I am deeply and sincerely sorry for my
negligence in the group email department. I have been severely chastised and
felt pretty lame, so I am going to do my best to not let that happen
again.
This week - this week was rough, I won't lie. But, we will
start out with the good news - the best news, really.
Sister Sylvester called me last week and let me know that
Megan and Tim have set another baptismal date - and it's really happening this
time. They've been making plans for it, Megan had her interview yesterday, and
it's for real. I am so happy, I'm pretty sure that my eyeballs are going to pop
out. April 25th, people. It's going to be a good, good day.
As for this area...we're struggling. The work has been
really slow, and we've been having a hard time getting anyone to listen to us.
We currently don't have any investigators, but we're hoping to change that
soon. Being a missionary with no one to teach is rough. The members are pretty
lukewarm about everything, and it's been a struggle getting to know them. I am
the fifth new missionary in this ward in the past 6 months, so I think that
they see me as just another missionary who'll be gone soon. We've made some good
friends, though, and I'm hoping that the longer I'm here, the more people will
return the getting to know you effort.
Last Sunday night, we went to a get together at a member's
house with some of the youth and some nonmember friends. The next day, we call
from President Pingree saying that the members had given him some comments
about my behavior. Basically, I had acted in such a way that he was thoroughly
embarrassed and drove the Spirit away. As he told me what he'd been told, some
of it rang bells, but for the most part, there had been a lot of exaggeration.
We talked about how to fix it, and hung up. I was in total shock - I had no
idea, and it was really hard. I thought we had kind of figured things out -
until Wednesday night when the Ward Mission Leader called us over to talk about
it. He said that he and the bishop had been informed, and that they didn't know
who else this member had told - and then he let me read this email that was
sent. I don't know if more terrible things have ever been said about me. I was
just ripped apart, and I've been struggling a lot since then to regain that
self confidence. I know it's only one person's opinion, but it's been hard to
put behind me.
In better news, I got to go on exchanges on Tuesday with my
good friend Sister King. We had a blast. We just talked and laughed all day
long and it was just a good day. We visited members with extremely soft carpet
and ate delicious burgers - par-tay. However, one of our fellow motorists did
not share our good humor and was very upset at Sister King's driving. As he
sped around us, he looked over and gave us kind of a death glare. Sister King
then said, "This guy is so mad at me right now - whatever. I don't care. I
am a representative of Jesus Christ, sir. You can get over it." It was
kind of hilarious.
It made me think, though. We are totally surrounded by
people, and all of these people have opinions. Opinions, as large and
intimidating as they might be, are not fact. Sometimes people are mean, and
sometimes their opinions might be really hurtful. At the end of the day,
however, they are not what matters. We are disciples of Jesus Christ, and He is
the only one whose opnion matters. He is the only one that knows what's going
on, and he is the only one who can tell you how you're doing. All those other
people? They don't matter. Don't let them matter.
Then you find people like Brother Aplanalp, who takes us to
dinner and tells the lady behind the register, "They are representatives
of Jesus Christ. It's pretty cool. That's why I'm buying their food."
People like that just make things better.
It's going to be a good week, people. I can feel it. Work
hard, do some good stuff, hug your mom, and eat some ice cream - though, if
it's not Blue Bell, it's severely lacking.
Sister Liljenquist
Sister King "Lamoni-ing" on the incredibly soft
carpet.
She displays her amazingly delicious hamburger. So
tasty.
I call this, "Elders on Bikes" Creative title, no?
Elder Peterson was trimming trees with this incredibly tall
trimmer. I think he felt pretty cool.
I found some dirt...
Elder Robins is so very helpful.
No comments:
Post a Comment