Monday, December 23, 2013

In Which We All Know that I'm Elder Frandsen's Favorite and I Am Never Stuffing Another Envelope Ever Again - and I Mean It

So, it's late o'clock on Pants Day, and I am just barely getting to email. It's a long story. Let's start at the beginning.

It all started last Friday. As you might recall, we went and did service at a member's house. (Did I write about that? I can't remember. Oh well.) As we scraped weeds out of the cracks in a member's sidewalk - which is not a pleasant occupation, in case you were wondering - it began to rain. But not real rain. Texas does this thing where it mists in a rainy sort of way. It's obnoxious. It wasn't too big of a deal, so we stayed out. I started feeling a little sniffley after that, and I just chalked it up to staying out in the rain. 

Oh, no. 

It developed into what Sister Sylvester and I (not-so) fondly referred to as the "Collu" - a combination of the cold and the flu with all of the best symptoms all rolled into one. We got a lesson in with Megan and Tim on the Book of Mormon and we got to go to mutual with Ellie and Tim before the illness descended and kept us captive in the apartment for most of the week. We had an appointment with Ashlee on Wednesday morning that we really needed to keep, so I was nicely dumped at the Imperial Oaks Sisters' apartment and we did a quickie exchange so that Sister Sylvester could go teach her. 

It was a really long week. Staying inside as a missionary is not fun at all - especially when you have people to teach and work to do. There was one night where we had three appointments in a row that I've been trying to meet since I got here 4 months ago and we had to cancel all of them because I was on the verge of death. Not really, but it was not pretty. 

But, as it tends to happen, the sick and afflicted eventually regained health and pushed forward. (Though I'm still not doing well mentally, as you can see by the state of this letter.) I was well by Friday, which is all I really wanted, because we had our Christmas conference that day. It was wonderful! There were a lot of really good talks from the mission presidency, there were lots of excellent people there, and I confirmed the rumor that we all know is true - I am Elder Frandsen's favorite. He said so himself. 

The Christmas program in sacrament meeting yesterday was really wonderful. The bishop didn't want to cause anyone stress by giving them a big talk or musical number, so there were a few dozen short talks (about a minute each) and short musical numbers - the combined priesthood quorums even sang a song. Though, when I say sing, I mean mumbled in a very nice sing songy fashion. It was really, really nice. I loved it a lot. 

So, today we got a call from a woman at a women's shelter asking for our help. They needed help sending out letters to donors for the holiday season and asked if we'd like to come today for a little while. We said absolutely, thinking that we'd get some of our missionary friends to come help and we'd bust it out speedy quick. Well, everyone either bailed on us or didn't respond, so when we got there it was Sister Sylvester and I against a massive pile of letters. When all was said and done, we stuffed, labeled, stamped and sealed 1,000 letters. We were there from 9 in the morning until 4 this afternoon - 7 hours, almost nonstop. My brain is almost quite literally moosh. The ladies there appreciated us a lot, though, and we made a bunch of friends there, so it was all good. All I know is that I am not ever stuffing an envelope ever again. My apologies to anyone who might ever want help with wedding invitations or the like - I will be permanently unavailable. 

It's been a good week, even though it was kind of totally lame. I really owe a lot to Sister Sylvester, aka The Best Companion Ever. It was really hard to stay inside, and I was really frustrated. I wanted to go work, and I felt horrible for keeping her inside as well. She never complained, though. She kept herself occupied, made sure that I was okay, and was more than willing to stay in when I really needed to. She wanted to be out and working desperately, but she never blamed it on me, and she was never grumpy about it. I am so grateful for that. I'm pretty sure that I would not have reacted in the same way, and I've learned a lot from her example. 

Have a wonderful Christmas, everyone! I sure love you and will be thinking of you!

Love, 

Me. 

No comments: